Categories

Introduction

June 2013: We would like to thank our local MP, Alan Campbell, for his interest in our recent activities and for generously becoming a sponsor of our next newsletter.  Mr Campbell’s details are available on our contacts page.  If you would like to sponsor future editions of the newsletter please contact us at prestonresidents@hotmail.co.uk.

 

For our latest news see here

Preston Residents Association was formed in the early 1990s when residents Richard Bloodsworth, Betty Moat and David Clouston got together to determine how to improve the area.  An earlier incarnation existed in the 1970s when, prompted by plans for building on the area that is now Monkswood Estate, Tynemouth Pool and Morrison’s supermarket, residents fought to preserve some green areas within the village and successfully secured the land occupied by North Shields Rugby Football Club and the adjoining area.

Today the area covered by the association, Preston Village, contains around 1400 residences and encompasses Walton Avenue, including the shops at the junction with Queen Alexandra Road, Tynemouth Crematorium and Cemetery, Balmoral Gardens, Sandringham Gardens, the Old Vicarage on Preston Road, West Dene Drive estate, The Wynd, John Spence Community High School, Tynemouth Pool, Monks Wood, North Road and Hunthill area and all the streets within.

The area is mainly residential but there are also neighbourhood facilities including:

  • The 4th Tynemouth Scout Hall, which was originally Preston Village Reading Room and now as well as hosting scout and beaver club meetings is the site of  Latin American dance classes and surgeries by the local councillors