Categories

AGM: Tonight, 7pm in the Scout Hall, North Road

AGM – Tonight, June 27th at 7pm in the Scout Hall, North (Walton) Road

The AGM will take place tonight at 7pm in the Scout Hall on North Road.

Please come along and support the work we are doing.  Let us know your views and your wishes for the future of the Village.  The meeting will be attended by ward councillors and representatives of the local police.  We are interested in hearing from anyone who would like to be more involved in our work around the Village, including those who would like to make a regular commitment as a committee member or those who would like to be involved on a less regular basis for example by heping with the production and distribution of the news letters and our work in the local environment.  We are particularly interested in increasing the number of volunteers to help with planting around the village as after this summer, planting this will no longer be supported by the council.  (The Scout Hall is situated between Tynemouth Pool and the Sportsman Pub, on the right hand side as you approach the pool from Walton Avenue).

AGM 2015

The 2015 AGM will take place tomorrow, Tuesday 19th May, at North Shields Rugby Football Club,
Preston Playing Fields
Preston Village
North Shields
NE29 9ND.

Website with map and directions: http://nsrfcfunctions.weebly.com/

Doors will be open from 7pm for a 7.15 start and local councillors and community police officers will be in attendance to answer your questions and report on local issues.  Refreshments will be  available to purchase from the bar.

 

Annual General Meeting 2013

This year’s AGM will be held on Tuesday 11th June at 7.15pm in North Shields Rugby Football club (near to Tynemouth Pool). We have invited representation from our Councillors, North Tyneside Council and Police to your AGM. Please come along and raise any points you feel important.

All residents are invited and this year we are looking for a chairperson, additional committee members and volunteers to help with keeping flower bed areas clean and tidy throughout the Village.

Book and Cake Sale – 10-12am June 8th at Pearey House

coffee morning image       Coffee Morning and Book Sale

In conjunction with Tynemouth Blind Welfare Society

Saturday 8th June, 10am-12 noon

Pearey House

Preston Park

NE29 9JR

 

Raffle, cake and craft stalls

Donations (books, cake, raffle prizes) welcome – please contact us at prestonresidents@hotmail.co.uk for collection

Anyne interested in having a craft stall please contact Val: 0191 258 2714

Proceeds will be split between the Residents Association and Tynemouth Blind Welfare Society, all monies raised will be spent on improving the area.

 

 

Update on flooding investigations – meeting March 28th, 2013

 A meeting to bring residents up-to-date with what has been happening to investigate and hopefully reduce the chances of a repeat of the flooding in the Village last summer has been organised for Thursday 28th March, at 6.30pm in Pearey House.  The meeting will be attended by representatives of Northumbrian Water who are to tell us about the results of investigations into the causes of the flooding and the remedial action they have been taking.  Also present will be representatives from an independent engineering company, Grontmij, who have reviewed the flood alleviation tanks at North Tyneside Rugby Club and investigated the flooding on 28th June 2012.  Preston Ward councillors, Kate Osbourne and Cath Davis who have been very active on this issue will also attend.  The meeting is open to any residents, not just those affected by the last flood.  We hope to see you there.

Council consultation on regeneration – have your say

North Tyneside Council are giving residents the opportunity to comment on proposals to improve town centres, the coast and riverside in the borough.  Residents are asked to give their views on area action plans drawn up to guide investment and regeneration over the next fifteen years.  An initial consultation carried out earlier this year received comments from over 400 residents, businesses and organisations and now, following some amendments,  a further consultation is taking place.  This will end at 8pm on Friday 28th September and an on-line form can be found on the North Tyneside Council website.  Although this does not affect our area directly it does have wider implications for the wider area and so is worthy of consideration.

News from our August meeting – proposed meeting with NTC and Northumbria water to discuss flooding

The August meeting of the committee held last Wednesday was also attended by several residents who had suffered loss or damage to property during and following the flood of 28th June.  The major point of discussion was whether the interceptor tanks installed during 2009 had in any way contributed to the sudden surge of water that had caused damage to property lying in an apparently direct line below the tanks.  Also of concern were reports of water damage occurring as late as three weeks after the event, indicating that flood waters had not yet drained away.  Residents were unhappy with the response of Northumbrian Water to the incident and expressed a desire for a public meeting to be held with representatives of the water company and of North Tyneside Council present.  We are in the process of trying to organise this meeting and will update with more details as they become available.   Those present also expressed how impressed they were with the actions of the emergency services, especially the fire service who had had to rescue several residents from their homes, and workers from NTC who were very helpful in assisting with clearing damaged property.  The elected mayor visited the Village shortly after flooding to view the damage and speak with residents and the council are working on an emergency plan to deal with any future flooding events.

Also discussed at the meeting were our entry into the RHS  ‘It’s your Neighbourhood’ campaign and Preston Towers.  Members of the RHS are to visit the Village early next week to look at the work done so far and to discuss our plans for the future.  Through the council we are looking at securing help from volunteer workers with heavier planting work and have drawn up plans of plants required for filling all the tubs and planters around the village when the current displays are finished.  This is some 5-600 plants so any donations, in the form of plants or otherwise will be very gratefully received – let us know if you can help.

Regarding Preston Towers, a resident of the neighbouring flats had sent pictures showing the general disrepair of the gardens and surrounds that has occurred since the property ceased functioning as a care home earlier in the year and had been put on the market.  This issue had also been raised at the AGM in June and Councillor David Sarin has been following it up.  Our latest information is that a Planning Enforcement Officer is going to contact the landowner requesting that the area is tidied up.  Hopefully that will be effective and we shall see an improvement soon.

Flooding Update

Following the recent flooding events in the Village, Councillor Cath Davis has asked us to let residents know that concerns over flooding, particularly around Preston Road North have been passed on to members services and that she has also been in touch with the Environment department who have assured her that the cleanup operation  for gullys is underway, however as there is only one vehicle this could take up to two weeks to be completed.

We, Preston Residents Association, have been in touch with Northumbrian Water to find out their position with regard to the recent flooding and the flooding alleviation work that was carried out during 2009.  Northumbrian Water have contacted or are in the process of contacting all residents affected by the flooding who have been in contact with them, however if the storm of 28th June is classified as ‘freak’ or ‘severe’ this will place the water flow beyond the capacity and requirements Northumbrian Water are expected to meet.  With some residents left homeless following the flooding, and likely to be out of their properties for periods up-to 6-8 months, this is obviously an issue of great concern.  We will discuss the responses of Northumbrian Water and North Tyneside Council at our next meeting, to be held next week, and update residents afterwards. If there any particular issues or incidents that you would like raised please contact us at prestonresidents@hotmail.co.uk

Donate a plant scheme…

We have been informed that, due to the current financial situation and cutbacks in council spending, North Tyneside Council will not be providing plants for the tubs and beds that currently adorn the Village.  Unless we are able to plant and maintain these ourselves, the tubs and planters will be removed from the Village.  To help us to maintain the standard of planting and the appearance of the Village, we are asking residents to help by donating a plant.  Our plans include replanting the raised beds at Moorcrest with perennials as well as refurbishing tubs and planters with bedding plants when the current season is over.  If you are dividing perennials or raise too many plants from seed will you please consider a donation to the Neighbourhood?  If you’ld like to donate anything, please contact us at prestonresidents@hotmail.co.uk.  If you need a reminder of how good things currently look, see our photo’s from earlier in the year

 

Recent activities…

Bench seat and notice board: Following our successful bids for funding, and with the support of North Tyneside Council we have recently installed a bench seat and noticboard on the green area by the Millennium Tree and across from the Spread Eagle.  Please enjoy the seat and keep an eye on the noticeboard for PRA announcements and other items of local interest.

Nest and roosting boxes: Again with help from NTC staff we have recently installed a number of nest and roosting boxes for bats and birds in Preston Cemetery.  Although the nesting boxes are unlikely to be used this year, this will give the birds plenty of time to get used to them ready for the breeding season next year.

‘Jubilee’ oak tree: To commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II we are going to plant a native oak in Preston cemetery.  This will form part of the Council’s autumn planting schedule at a time when it will be most successful – details to follow closer to the time.